While TRIO might have originated as a demonstration program serving just a handful of students for a few million dollars in the 1960s, it has grown into a billion-dollar program serving nearly a million students by the 21st century. As several of the programs can now boast of 50+ years of service, our community has had many opportunities to share the life-altering contributions that TRIO has made in the lives of low-income, first-generation students. COE encourages all TRIO programs to commemorate such a milestone by organizing events, reaching out to alumni, publishing stories and op-eds, and using social media.
As part of each 50th Anniversary celebration, COE hosts a national student video competition that highlights the impact of TRIO on students, schools, communities, and families.
Talent Search celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 2015. Student creators of the winning videos were honored during the Opening Session at COE’s 34th Annual Conference in Atlanta, GA. The second-place video, “Talent Search 50th Anniversary Celebration—University of Pennsylvania” was created by two students at the University of Pennsylvania. The winners were two sisters from the Vermont Student Assistance Corporation who submitted a video entitled “The Lombard Family: A TRIO Talent Search Success Story.”
Noteworthy Talent Search Alumni
- Henry Bonilla, U.S. House of Representatives, Texas — 23rd District (1993 to 2007), Partner, The Normandy Group, Talent Search, Project Stay, Inc.
- Darcel D. Clark, Bronx County District Attorney, Talent Search, Tremont Improvement Program Neighborhood House (TIP)
- Cornelius Griggs, President and CEO, Griggs, Mitchell, and Alma Construction Group, Talent Search, Introspect Youth Services, Inc.
- Rob Masri, Founder, and CEO, Cardagin Networks, Inc., Talent Search and Upward Bound, Virginia Tech University
- Brian Mitchell, Former Running Back, Washington Redskins, Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants, Talent Search and Upward Bound, Southern University A&M
- Gregory Powell, President and CEO of Fi-Plan Partners, Talent Search, Bolton High School, Arlington, TN