Pell Institute report
ASHE-Pell Institute Collaboration Publishes Reflections on Connecting Research and Practice in College Access and Success Programs
The Pell Institute for the Study of Opportunity in Higher Education of the Council for Opportunity in Education (COE) and the Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE) is pleased to announce a compilation of essays from the perspectives of both researchers and practitioners entitled — Reflections on Connecting Research and Practice in College Access and Success Programs. In 2014, ASHE received a grant from the William T. Grant Foundation to support its initiative to improve research-and-practice connection. The ASHE-Pell collaboration gathered university-based researchers and College Access professionals to focus on the theme of how researchers and practitioner professionals can best work together to inform one another and promote better outcomes for students.
New models of evaluations are emerging such as participatory, collaborative, action, empowerment, and systems analysis all of which recognize the inherent links between the research and practice. There is increasing recognition of the need for research-practice collaboration for more informed practice. Reflections on Connecting Research and Practice in College Access and Success Programs provides essays that:
- Reflect on the lessons learned from the history of the research-practice relationship in TRIO programs
- Include results of the collaboration’s exploratory landscape survey on the use of research and evaluation among TRIO programs
- Explore both the challenges and positive trust-building experiences through case studies of researcher-practitioner collaborations
- Review initiatives for program improvement
- Review initiatives for data use in college access programs, including a review content of entries in the What Works Clearing House.
Faces of TRIO
Pam Pritzker – Ridley
Faces of TRIO
Christopher Rosenquest, City of Plattsburgh Mayor
EQUALITY, Spring 2023
If you are a student support services professional, thank you. You are an unsung hero for all the good that you do, and surely you know by now that COE has your back.
Through strategic collaborations, we work to strengthen quality, opportunity and access to education for all American students — the next generation of global leaders.
Join more than 1,000 colleges and community agencies committed to postsecondary opportunity for low-income, first-generation students, students with disabilities in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., the Pacific Islands, and Puerto Rico!